Cup Noodle fusion collab series 2, part 2: Chili Tomato x Tom Yum (Sep 2022)

Series 1 (2021):

Part 1: Cheese Curry x Chili Tomato

Part 2: Tonkotsu x Miso

Series 2 (2022):

Part 1: Cheese Curry x Miso

A quick confession: I've never eaten tom yum soup before. The foodies and the purists will tell me that I still haven't, that a *gasp, whisper it* Cup Noodle doesn't count. Maybe it doesn't, but hey. I wanted to try more than one fusion flavour, and Super Spicy x Garlic Tonkotsu wasn't appealing to me that day.

'Tom Yum' is technically part of the 'World Cup Noodles' flavour series, but it's the only regular one. All the others are limited editions, or turn out to be massively unpopular and drop off the face of the earth. Cup Noodle fans seem to like tom yum. Maybe I would too?

My main concern was if I could handle the spice level. Chili Tomato isn't that bad by itself, but tom yum is a 'hot and sour' soup as well. I can't tell you I wasn't a bit nervous.

The lack of an extra packet of chili oil on the lid was a relief, this time.


Well, this powder mix had a spicier scent than Cheese Curry x Chili Tomato did, that's for sure. Enough that breathing in too far made me cough. Oops.

I was excited about getting some freeze-dried shrimp this time! Is that sad? Nah...

Keeping in mind that I can't vouch for the authenticity of the tom yum soup flavour... this tasted good. It was slightly too spicy for my tastes, but if it was milder it would've been great.

I don't have a lot else to say about this one. Except that I think the end result looks the least like the 'product image' on the lid than any other Cup Noodle I've tried...

Verdict: 5/10. Half marks for half Yum.