Cup Noodle fusion collab, part 2: Tonkotsu x Miso (Sep 2021)

Part 1, explaining Cup Noodle fusion and the collab flavours, is here.

I almost decided not to write this one up. I didn't think I'd get a long enough (or interesting enough) post out of it. But when you label something 'part 1'... you're setting yourself up. So here it is.



Tonso is the fusion of tonkotsu ramen and miso ramen. I like them both, I'd say tonkotsu is my favourite ramen flavour, if I have to pick, but miso is also great. Again, the pack design is fun, the colour scheme works well. I picked this Cup Noodle with high expectations for a good match.

It came with a small packet of spicy oil, which I didn't use at all.


Regular readers may know that I'm not good with spicy food. I didn't want to accidentally ruin this.

My initial reaction on eating this was: 'reassuringly unspectacular'. It tastes great, the combo is perfect. Tonso is the most logical and compatible pairing of the lot, I think. Nothing to complain about, in theory.

The thing is, when you're always writing about new and weird foods... something that tastes this normal is kind of a letdown. It's like it was too obvious a choice. With stronger combos in the lineup, Nissin needed a flavour that nobody was likely to object to or complain about, and this is it.

On the one hand, neither the tonkotsu or miso overpowered the other (I think the oil would've killed them both). On the other hand, that made the mixed broth feel pretty plain. I ate it without incident, and if it sticks around I'd buy it again. Wouldn't surprise me if this does indeed become a regular flavour.

Verdict: 7.5/10. Perfectly fine.