BECORN, the bacon-flavoured sweetcorn snack (Sep 2022)

Becorn is 'Plant-Based Food': snacks made from sweetcorn, pretending to be crunchy bacon.


Bacorn. Be corn. Be the corn. Become the corn. I am the corn. You are the corn. We are all children of the corn now. (Or something like that, anyway.)

This isn't my first rodeo with fake bacon snacks. This time, the snacks are made by Koikeya instead of Calbee. They've also tried reproducing that smoky, crispy bacon taste without, y'know, just using some damn bacon and calling it a day.

There are no meat-based ingredients on the list whatsoever. Even the colourings are natural (benikouji and caramel). Where does the bacon flavour come from, then? I'm not totally sure...

And for a plant-based snack, 346 calories for a 67g bag feels like a lot. That'll be the vegetable oil, glucose, sugar and salt. This isn't a healthy alternative by any means.

I couldn't find an angle to do those natural colourings justice, so please try and imagine that these snacks are far more vividly orange than in the following photo.


On pulling one out of the bag, I instantly understood why. They're coated in a ridiculous amount of flavour powder. Enough that holding them started to feel physically uncomfortable, like holding little bits of sandpaper, and my fingertips turned orange. These are truly the Cheetos of plant-based food.


The best way I can describe how these taste is:

If you've ever eaten Frazzles bacon snacks, these taste like Frazzles but with a bit more crunch and a hint of sweetcorn at the end.

If you haven't eaten Frazzles before, these taste like solid bits of sweetcorn covered in bacon powder.

The bacon taste is initially there, and then the corn kicks in not long afterwards. You might find that surprising for something that's visibly more powder than snack, but when most of the powder stays on your hands you aren't going to taste it.

I'm... not a fan, put it that way. I spent a little while afterwards rinsing my hands off and cursing under my breath. I don't wanna become the corn, Mrs. Torrance.

Verdict: 2/10. The continued search for viable plant-based alternatives is admirable, and everything, but I'd honestly rather eat bacon.